We love a good road trip! MM returned yesterday from a week in Virginia. So happy that he was able to get away to that beautiful place! To welcome him back, tonight’s LCHF / Ketogenic feast will be inspired by some of the amazing eats we have enjoyed while traveling around south of the Mason-Dixon line. Let’s start with the Main Course: Slow Cooker Pork Ribs!
Slow Cooker Pork Ribs
- 4 lbs pork spare ribs (have your butcher cut these into individual ribs)
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed and minced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh ginger
- zest of one orange
- 1/4 cup siracha chile sauce
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
- Add all ingredients except salt and pepper to slow cooker (4-6 qt size recommended)
- Stir, to coat ribs evenly
- Cook on low heat for 6 hours
- Season with salt and pepper to taste (optional)
Now for your greens:
Pickled Collard Greens with Bacon
- 1/2 pound cooked bacon, crumbled (save the drippings!)
- 3 cups medium onions, chopped
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- 2 pounds frozen, chopped collard greens
- In a stockpot (6 quart recommended), cook bacon until crisp. Remove and drain on paper towels.
- Saute onions in bacon grease until translucent.
- Add broth, vinegar, red pepper flakes, and stir
- Add the collards, stir until thawed.
- Add half of the bacon
- Simmer (covered) for 45 minutes.
- Seve topped with reserved crispy bacon, crumbled.
And I saved the best for last!
Cheesy Cauliflower “Grits”
- 1 head cauliflower
- 4tbsp butter
- 2 cups shredded smoked gouda cheese
- heavy cream (optional, for consistency adjustment)
- Grate cauliflower into small bits
- Put into large covered microwaveable bowl with a little bit of water (or add to stockpot with enough water to cover)
- Microwave on high for 10 minutes (or boil for 10 minutes until tender)
- Drain and add butter and cheese
- Mash ingredients together
- Add heavy cream to thin out if desired
- Serve hot and enjoy!
Here’s a link to our slow cooker. We’ve had it for three years now, and it has been a real workhorse. I love loading it up and then enjoying the tantalizing aromas that waft around the house until we crack it open at dinnertime! The clips on top make it easy to transport to pot lucks as well!
Please note: Links to products are affiliate links.
Did you enjoy this post? Tell your friends! 🙂
If you would like to help keep us going, there are two more ways you can easily help us to keep bringing you quality content and information – for FREE! (Unfortunately, the ads that you see here benefit WordPress, not us.)
1. Please click the “follow” link at the top of this sidebar, and
2. Use this affiliate link when shopping on Amazon
Please note: I am not a doctor or nutritionist. While this LCHF and ketogenic diet experiment has worked well for me so far, your mileage may vary. This diet needs to be balanced correctly, in order to avoid potential side effects. It is always a good idea to discuss any major health decisions with your doctor before getting started.