Hi folks, thanks for stopping by. Well, we sure are living it up here at the cabin this holiday season! Here’s a dish that I never thought I’d be able to enjoy while losing weight. Using a quick Keto “dough” to make the noodles keeps this dish low carb AND luscious!
Makes 12 servings, strict low carb
- 2 lb ground beef
- 2 medium onions
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 large jar of your favorite low-carb marinara or pizza sauce**
- 1/8 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- 8 eggs
- 1 package (10 oz.) cream cheese
- 1⁄3 cup ground psyllium husk
- 2 cups sour cream
- 3/4 cup grated parmesan cheese (reserve 1/4 cup for topping)
- 4 cups shredded mozzarella cheese (reserve 1/2 cup for topping)
- 2 cups cooked chopped spinach, squeezed dry
- Preheat the oven to 300°F (150°C).
- Start with the noodles: Beat eggs and cream cheese into a smooth batter (I used an electric hand mixer for this). Add in the psyllium husk, a little at a time, until batter is smooth.
- Let sit for a few minutes, until batter sets up.
- Divide the batter into two halves. Spread each half on one (13 x 18 inch) baking sheet lined with parchment paper with a spatula.
- Place another piece of parchment paper on top of each pan, and flatten with your hands (or a rolling pin) until the batter is pressed thin and covers the whole pan.
- Bake (with both pieces of parchment paper) in place for about 20 minutes. You can put both pans on different racks in the oven at the same time.
- Let the pans cool and then remove the parchment and slice into noodles.
- While the noodles are baking/cooling, make the sauce:
- Peel and finely chop onion and garlic and sautée with the ground beef until cooked through. Add marinara sauce, bay leaf and spices.
- Bring to a boil, lower the heat and let simmer for at least 30 minutes, or until the sauce has reduced to your preferred thickness.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Make the cheese mix: Mix sour cream with parmesan cheese and chopped spinach.
- Place lasagna sheets, pasta sauce, cheese mix, and shredded mozzarella in layers in two 13 x 9 baking dishes (or one deeper dish with more layers). Finish with shredded mozzarella and some parmesan cheese on top.
- Bake for about 30 minutes or until the cheese is bubby and starting to turn golden on top.
- Let the lasagnas rest for about 10 minutes before cutting and serving.
*Alternatively, I have seen recipes that use zucchini or eggplant sliced thin to make the “noodles.” I have not tried that yet… If you have, please feel free to chime in and let us know how it went!
**If you can not find a low carb marinara sauce in your local store, you can use 12 oz. of tomato paste and enough water to reconstitute that into a sauce.
Please note: Links to products are affiliate links.
Did you enjoy this post? Tell your friends! 🙂
If you would like to help keep us going, there are two more ways you can easily help us to keep bringing you quality content and information – for FREE! (Unfortunately, the ads that you see here benefit WordPress, not us.)
1. Please click the “follow” link at the top of this sidebar, and
2. Use this affiliate link when shopping on Amazon
Please note: I am not a doctor or nutritionist. While this LCHF and ketogenic diet experiment has worked well for me so far, your mileage may vary. This diet needs to be balanced correctly, in order to avoid potential side effects. It is always a good idea to discuss any major health decisions with your doctor before getting started.