Hello friends! Here we are at January’s end. And with that, the end of our dairy-free experiment here at the cabin. While eating LCHF / Keto is not at all impossible without dairy, we have happily discovered that it does not affect us here in any great way, and so we are happy to welcome some dairy—in its low carb forms—back into our lives. We certainly learned some new tricks on how to create satisfying meals without it, and so I expect that our dairy consumption will be lower than it was previously.
Something that I will be continuing however, is staying gluten-free. It is not difficult to do within this lifestyle as we eliminated most of our grain consumption months ago. All I really needed to do was find an alternative to the low-carb whole wheat tortillas we were still using for wraps and our favorite quesadillas. Here’s a great recipe for that!
Low Carb & Gluten Free Tortillas
Per Tortilla: Calories 128 | Fat 10g | Protein 3g | Net Carb 6g
- 1/4 cup tapioca starch (flour)
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Sift the tapioca starch, coconut flour and salt together and put aside.
- Preheat a very lightly greased pan over medium-low heat (I used a coconut oil spray).
- Whisk the egg and cream together.
- Gently stir in the dry ingredients, just until smooth.
- Pour about 1/4 cup of batter into the pan. Swirl the pan to to spread the batter evenly thin.
- Cook for 3-4 minutes over medium-low heat.
- Flip the tortilla and cook another 1-2 minutes or until crisp.
- Carefully remove to a rack or large plate to cool.
Tortillas can be stored loosely covered in the refrigerator for up to 1 week. They become a bit stronger for wrapping, etc. if they dry out just a little. Tortillas can also be frozen, with wax/parchment paper in between each tortilla.
Enjoy! If you have any tips or a favorite wrap recipe, feel free to share a link!
Please note: Links to products are affiliate links.
Did you enjoy this post? Tell your friends! 🙂
If you would like to help keep us going, there are two more ways you can easily help us to keep bringing you quality content and information – for FREE! (Unfortunately, the ads that you see here benefit WordPress, not us.)
1. Please click the “follow” link at the top of this sidebar, and
2. Use this affiliate link when shopping on Amazon
Please note: I am not a doctor or nutritionist. While this LCHF and ketogenic diet experiment has worked well for me so far, your mileage may vary. This diet needs to be balanced correctly, in order to avoid potential side effects. It is always a good idea to discuss any major health decisions with your doctor before getting started.