Hello and happy holidays friends! We’ve been busy here, battening down the hatches for the coming winter. Happy to report that last month’s wood project is complete – we’ll be warm and cosy here for another season. A good feeling for sure!
Now, we turn our attention to navigating the frenzied month ahead. In the spirit of finding time to stay on a healthy path, here’s a moderately easy chicken dish that is quick enough for a weeknight, and fancy enough for guests!
Ingredients for 6 servings:
- 3 Tablespoons bacon lard
- 3 boneless & skinless chicken breasts, cut in half to make 6 servings about 1-1.5″ thick
- 1 large onion, diced
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 slices cooked bacon, chopped
- 8 oz jar of marinated artichoke hearts in oil, drained & chopped (reserve the oil)
- 8 oz. jar olive tapenade (or you can use whole, pitted kalamata olives if desired)
- 2 tbsp non-pareil (small) capers, drained
- 1/4 tsp crushed red chili flakes
- 28 oz can of fire roasted diced tomatoes (we use Muir Glen brand)
- Fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- Pre-heat oven to 450 F.
- Add bacon lard to a large, oven proof skillet, and melt over high heat.
- Place the chicken breasts in the hot pan and sear them. After 2-3 minutes, turn them over and place the entire pan in the oven for about 20 minutes.
- While chicken is baking, add the artichokes (plus some of the reserved oil), garlic, onions, bacon, olives, capers and chili flakes to a second skillet/pan. Saute for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the diced tomatoes, stir and simmer for another 10 minutes, or until the liquid has reduced by half. Add pepper, to taste.
- When the breasts are cooked to an internal temperature of 165 F, remove from oven. Let them sit for about 5 minutes.
- Plate the chicken and top with the sauce. Enjoy!
Tip: Even better with a generous portion of mixed greens dressed lightly with Italian vinaigrette on the side!
Did you enjoy this post? Tell your friends! 🙂
If you would like to help keep us going, there are two more ways you can easily help us to keep bringing you quality content and information – for FREE! (Unfortunately, the ads that you see here benefit WordPress, not us.)
1. Please click the “follow” link at the top of this sidebar, and
2. Use this affiliate link when shopping on Amazon
Please note: I am not a doctor or nutritionist. While this LCHF and ketogenic diet experiment has worked well for me so far, your mileage may vary. This diet needs to be balanced correctly, in order to avoid potential side effects. It is always a good idea to discuss any major health decisions with your doctor before getting started.